Around the holidays, drains become more likely to clog. Keep the holidays merry by taking all the right steps to prevent drain stoppages from inconveniencing you! Here, we list a few of our expert tips for preventing clogs.
- Care for your disposal. A garbage disposal is not a catch-all for whatever waste you don’t want to deal with. Care for your garbage disposal by keeping it clean (with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar). You should also try to put only small bits of food into the drains, so as not to overwork the disposal.
- Know what belongs in the trash. No non-food items belong in your disposal. Additionally, you should never put anything too hard into the drains (like meat bones and popcorn kernels). And you should avoid disposing of stringy foods like celery and onion skins that can wrap around the disposal impellers. Finally, know that pasta and rice often contribute to drain clogs, since they can expand in the pipes.
- Avoid FOG. FOG (fats, oils, and grease) solidify within cool pipes, creating a potential for major clogs as debris continues to collect in the residue.
- Purchase drain covers. Drain screens in your bathtub and shower can help to prevent clogs caused by hair. You can purchase these for very little from your local hardware store.
- Schedule professional drain cleaning. We recommend professional drain cleaning as both a means of unclogging pipes and a way to prevent drain clogs. Professional drain cleaners use hydro jetting to keep drains clear. A thin hose shoots out water at high pressure from its nozzle. It moves throughout the pipes, using the high water pressure to push clogs into the sewer system. It also removes stuck-on residue in the pipes, reducing the likelihood that your drains will clog in the near future.
VOGT Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing provides professional drain services in Minnetonka. Call our friendly technicians 24/7 for exceptional customer service!