As your air conditioner gets up there in age, you do your best to hang on it for as long as possible. That means that you should be changing the air filter regularly—about once a month or so. You may also decide to use the thermostat a bit more conservatively, in order to cut back on use and, therefore, preserve the state of your system for a little longer.
You should also pay close attention to the performance of your air conditioner. If anything seems off, you’ll want to call a technician right away, so that the problem doesn’t get any worse. But if your technician says it’s time for a replacement, you may want to listen.
Why It’s Better to Replace Early on
If you have warning that your air conditioner is failing fast, it’s often better to schedule that AC system replacement sooner rather than later. There are a few important reasons for this:
- You’ll spend a lot on repairs if you try to keep a failing system around.
- Old, faulty, inefficient air conditioners use up a lot of energy, and cost a lot to run.
- Your air conditioner could break down completely when you really need it!
Signs You Should Replace Your AC
It’s not always easy to tell when your air conditioner is reaching the end of its life. Usually, you’ll need to contact a local technician. And don’t be afraid to ask for a second opinion!
Here are some common signs that your AC system could be done for:
- Your technician tells you that repairs will be about half the price of a new system! At this point, it’s probably not worth it to pay so much to continue to deal with a failing system.
- When you seem to make repair after repair each and every year. The cost of maintenance adds up.
- Your system is 10-15 years old. It won’t run efficiently for much longer.
Call VOGT Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for more information about AC replacement and repair or to schedule service in the Golden Valley area.